Skin Cancer is the uncontrollably growing of abnormal skin cells. It takes place when the unrepaired DNA damage to the skin cells (occasionally caused due to the ultraviolet radiation from the tanning beds or sunshine) mutation of triggers, defects of the genetic, which leads the cells of the skin to multiply very fast and form malignant tumors.
Nobody has revealed why some people suffer from cancer and some don’t. Many things can cause cancer and sometimes even doctors cannot find out the exact reason for its cause.
But somehow, they are sure that the sun is one of the skin cancers causing elements.
Ways to prevent skin cancer
Follow the below-given tips for preventing yourself from ultraviolet rays and reduce the risk of skin cancer:
- Only seek shade when you think it is appropriate. Remember that the rays of the sun are very strong between the time period of 10 am and 2 pm. If you find your shadow shorter, you are a seek shade.
- Always wear protective clothing like a shirt having a lightweight long-sleeve, sunglasses, a wide-brimmed hat, etc.
- Always apply a broad-spectrum, sunscreen which is water-proof with an SPF of 30 or higher. Broad-spectrum sunscreen which helps you in being protected from the UVA and UVB rays.
- Never forget to use sunscreen whenever you are going out. Use even on cloudy days.
- Apply enough sunscreen that all exposed skins will be covered.
- Every two hours, reapply the sunscreen, or after sweating or swimming.
- Be aware near the land, snow, and water. They can reflect the harmful rays of the sun which can increase the risk of sunburn.
- Never use tanning beds. The ultraviolet rays which come from the tanning beds can cause cancer of skin and aging of skin at an early age.
- Make a habit of using products that are self- tanning. It will make you look tan; you can continue using sunscreen with it.
- If you find any kind of suspicious spot on your skin or change in anything, bleeding or itching, immediately consult with a broad-certified dermatologist. It will help you in detecting the cancer of the skin in an early period when it is treatable
Treatment options for skin cancer:
According to type, stage and the location of cancer, the doctor applies different forms of surgery.
Radiation therapy produces radiation which contracts or damages a cancer tumor.
It may cause several side effects like damage to a salivary gland, irritation, vomiting, hair loss, and many others. It will be dependent on the location of the treatment.
Chemotherapy, also known as “Chemo”, uses the drugs for killing the cells of cancer and other symptoms.
But, it is very highly toxic and it may cause harmful side effects such as hair loss, vomiting, nausea, and it also damages healthy cells as well as cancer cells.
Targeted therapy is one of the forms of chemotherapy, but it is able to target a specific point of the cancer cells.
More often this therapy is given alone, but sometimes it is also provided with other forms of chemotherapy. It can also cause side effects like others, including, changes in the skin and hair.
This therapy is highly used for the treatment of skin cancers and cancers on the lining on the internal organs or a cavity.
For killing cancer cells, this therapy combines a chemical of photodynamic with a special kind of operating light. This therapy makes the eyes very sensitive to the light for about six weeks after the treatment.
It may also cause other side effects like abdominal pain, coughing, trouble in swallowing, etc.
This therapy uses the own immune system of the patient for fighting against cancer. Some types of immunotherapy are also known as biological therapy.
It works far better than other therapies on certain types of cancers. In addition, immunotherapy can be very effective in treating melanoma.
In a condition when other therapies are not working, or are not available for some reason, the patient can apply in clinical trials for a new treatment. There are many treatments that are still being researched but not found yet.